Saturday

The Young Victoria, 2009 Movie

This 2009 film staring Emily Blunt tells the story of a young Queen Victoria, starting from the year before her coronation and three years after. After the death of her Uncle, King William, she is next in line to become ruler of Great Britain. Directed by Jean-Marc Valle, this movies see's to what I believe to be very good and accurate styling.

Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend as Victoria and Albert.
I really liked the use of hair accessories in this film, there always seemed to be flowers or feathers in the hair. I loved this because this would have been historically accurate because the Victorians loved their decorating their hair. As make up wasn't worn in the Victorian era, the Make-up Design team came up with a very simple 'no make-up, make-up look' . Some critics have said it was too German looking and there wasn't enough British styling looks, but I don't agree, from other research I have done I can tell that it looks very British. 





Here I have included some images to show some of the styling, hairstyles and make up. These were all at different stages throughout the movie.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this film, I think the story that was told was very captivating and one that isn't told about Queen Victoria very often, It was obvious it was dramatized for Hollywood Movie purposes but I like the initial story of when Victoria was a happy and young and not mourning her beloved Albert by wearing wearing black every single day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment