
This is a film adaptation of the novel by Charles Dickens. With a star studded cast, I was disappointed with the outcome of this version. It wasn't my favourite because I don't believe the styling was historically correct. This follows the same storyline as the other versions as well as the novel. Furthermore the styling was intriguing to me because it wasn't like the 2012 version. Helena Bonham Carter played a leading role of Miss Havisham and he styling had me the most confused. The make-up designers interpretation was ok, it seemed more historically accurate than the hair stylist. It is explained in the novel that Miss Havisham's hair was left on the wedding day as how it is 20 years later but in the film on the wedding day scene it looked exactly the same as it did when Estella was grown up, During this time (especially for a wedding day in Victorian times) there would have been some sort of chignon or up-do incorporated in to her hair as Miss Havisham was an upper class woman.
The styling of Estella is quite modern than what I was expecting, her hair is awfully shiny (which would normally not have been the case as the Victorians didn't have products that would do that in these days) The styles seemed more modern than the styles we would have seen 150 years ago. But supposing this is still a Hollywood movie there fore there would be glitz and glamour. Pip's hair was not what I was expecting either, it was very short cut, more like something you would see styled on men today.
Overall I did enjoy this version minus the little touches I didn't believe were Victorian enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment