The first on screen adaptation of 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens I looked at was the 2012 Christmas BBC version.
This stars Gillian Anderson as Miss Havisham, Douglas Booth as Pip and Vanessa Kirby as Estella. Other well known actors in this adaptation is Ray Winstone and David Suchet.
This is a story of how a young orphan boy is raised by his aunt and uncle and is thrown into the world of being a gentleman buy an anonymous benefactor. The TV series shows a young pip falling for a beautiful Estella and being controlled by a man hating Miss Havisham. When Pip grows up and moves to London to become a gentleman, we see his Aunt die, him use all up all of his inheritance left by his benefactor (which he believes to be Miss Havisham), fall more in love with Estella who has already been married off and is in a brutal marriage. Also Miss Havisham looses her beloved Estella and Pip because of her lies and betrayal. In the end it is revealed that Magwitch was in fact the mysterious benefactor of Pip's. Pip ends up loosing his entire fortune and is pursued for owing a lot of money, therefore he ends up loosing his 'gentlemen' title. Pip falls in and his uncle Joe (who pip pretty much avoided after becoming rich) nurses him to better health and Pip goes to Egypt to work. 10 years later Pip returns to Satis House to find Estella and rekindle their love.
I really enjoyed this version of Great Expectations because I feel it wasn't as stylised as the other versions I have seen. The story is British and I felt this was the most true to how Victorian Britain would have been like. The make up and hair styling was also my favourite because again it rang very true to the correct time period. I also liked the ghostly appearance the Make-up Artist created of Miss Havisham, most other Make-up designers created Miss Havisham as a very old woman with wrinkles and crazy unruly hair, but this designer created the character as chilling as possible which I think really stuck to the genre of the story, Gothic Horror.
This is a story of how a young orphan boy is raised by his aunt and uncle and is thrown into the world of being a gentleman buy an anonymous benefactor. The TV series shows a young pip falling for a beautiful Estella and being controlled by a man hating Miss Havisham. When Pip grows up and moves to London to become a gentleman, we see his Aunt die, him use all up all of his inheritance left by his benefactor (which he believes to be Miss Havisham), fall more in love with Estella who has already been married off and is in a brutal marriage. Also Miss Havisham looses her beloved Estella and Pip because of her lies and betrayal. In the end it is revealed that Magwitch was in fact the mysterious benefactor of Pip's. Pip ends up loosing his entire fortune and is pursued for owing a lot of money, therefore he ends up loosing his 'gentlemen' title. Pip falls in and his uncle Joe (who pip pretty much avoided after becoming rich) nurses him to better health and Pip goes to Egypt to work. 10 years later Pip returns to Satis House to find Estella and rekindle their love.
I really enjoyed this version of Great Expectations because I feel it wasn't as stylised as the other versions I have seen. The story is British and I felt this was the most true to how Victorian Britain would have been like. The make up and hair styling was also my favourite because again it rang very true to the correct time period. I also liked the ghostly appearance the Make-up Artist created of Miss Havisham, most other Make-up designers created Miss Havisham as a very old woman with wrinkles and crazy unruly hair, but this designer created the character as chilling as possible which I think really stuck to the genre of the story, Gothic Horror.
No comments:
Post a Comment